Monday 10 October 2011

The winter garden and indoor growing


After summer has passed and the weather changes we notice a big difference in our garden. The flowers have died off for another year and trees loose their leaves but there are ways to carry on growing through these times, indoor gardening!
I have grown plants indoors for several years and it really is quite easy, all we need is sunshine. You may think this impossible during the winter but you can buy sun in a box today in the form of grow lights. Grow lights are lights designed with the correct colour spectrum in them to grow plants coming in different forms for each stage of your plants growth. High pressure sodium vapour (like flood lights) are an ideal light to flower plants under. I have a few different types that I use, I start with a 250w  blue CFL to grow my cutting or seedlings this is an ideal veg lamp that gives off very little heat so is ideal for fragile young plants. After roots have taken hold I switch light to a 400w metal halide which again has a blue spectrum ideal for veg but gives me more watts of power to really get my plants into overdrive. Once I am happy with the size and structure of my plants I switch lighting again to a 600w high pressure sodium grow light which is full of red spectrum light exactly what your plants love in the flowering phase of their growth.
Most indoor growers tend to just use the high pressure sodium from start to finish and this is a viable option, all I would say to that is that yes your plants will grow this way but no where near as well as plants grown with the different lighting spectrums.
As well as a light you will need an extraction system in place in order to cool down your grow room as grow lights give off heat as well as light and this can be harmful to your plants.
If  you are going to try and grow through winter be sure to do your research and be sure to only buy equipment from reputable shops who know what they are talking about so you know what you are buying is going to work for your situation.

No comments: